Hi lovely readers!
Happy Thursday. Today I’m going to share my updated morning routine for 2019. I’ve tried to integrate things I’ve learned in therapy and habits I’ve seen on youtube and on other blogs that sound happy and healthy, as well as learn to wakeup earlier (though sometimes this seems to be an impossible feat).
Approx 8:30 am: I wakeup and typically my cat, Leila, climbs onto my stomach and I lie in bed for another 10 minutes after I take my morning medications. I take Vyvanse so it takes a little while to kick in!
8:40: I go downstairs and grab a cup of coffee, typically with Hazelnut coffee creamer. I’m a chronic drink-spiller, so I try to sit in the kitchen and have it. Sometimes I then make eggs on avocado toast, and sometimes I make a smoothie –
Easy breakfast smoothie recipe:
- 2 whole bananas
- A cup of frozen blueberries and strawberries
- A scoop of vanilla whey protein powder
- A scoop of collagen peptides for glowing and firm skin
- 2 cups of 1% milk
9:00: Once I’m no longer absolutely starving, I head to the shower.
Morning shower routine:
- I use the Origins Checks and Balances cleanser as my first face wash
- Then I use the Tatcha Rice exfoliant
- I wash my body with a cinnamon-scented body wash from Lush
- I shave, with cream, and then use a body exfoliant I got in a Fab Fit Fun box a while ago
- Then I get out and dry myself off!
9:15: Once I’m out of the shower, I pick a face mask I didn’t use the day before (typically one that’s moisturizing if I used a purifying one the day before, and visa versa) and apply it. Then I moisturize my body with the Winter Candy Apple Ultra Shea Body Cream from Bath and Body Works.
9:25: While my mask is drying, I like to put on some youtube videos in the background and check and add to my planner.
9:30: With youtube still on, or a playlist going on my speaker, I do my daily journalling routine.
- I date the page, and start with a gratitude list. I try to get to 10 things. (E.g. my family, coffee, my friends, warm showers, sunny skies…)
- I do the same thing but with affirmations. (I am loveable, I am a good friend, I am a good student, I am strong…)
- Then I rate my mood, level of craving (I’m in recovery), self-esteem, and how I’m feeling about eating out of 10
- After, I fill in my little bullet-journal-style section with how much water I’m drinking, whether I’ve done my makeup and hair, and whether I’m going to exercise that day
- Finally, I just write a bit about what’s on my mind!
9:45: I turn on my hair curler and start my makeup with some primer. The primer I use needs to set on my skin, so I put half my hair up in a scrunchie and start curling! Once I’ve done my hair I get it off my face with a headband and apply concealer, foundation, setting powder, contour, blush, highlight, eyeshadow, brow gel, sometimes liner, and mascara followed by lipstick or gloss.
10:05: Still in my bathrobe, I pick out an outfit and tidy my room, starting with putting my pajamas in the laundry, then packing a small makeup bag with things I need to touch up during the day and put it in my backpack or purse, then I make my bed and bring my water glass from the night before down to the kitchen.
Then I start my day! I find that this routine helps me get excited for the day to come, because I’ve already put a lot of thought into how I’m feeling and how I’d like to feel, and my body feels clean, put together and I’m presenting myself as best as I know how. I often wake up in a particular mood, but if I really focus on how pleasant and comforting the things I’m doing in my morning are, I start to feel more positive. I hope some of you find this helpful – leave a comment sharing any things I should add into my day that work for you!
Lots of love,